Learning Business Chinese (Part III) - Key Words and Phrases
Learning Business Chinese – Part III
Hills Learning continues to familiarize you with different business idioms and expressions in Chinese. Although they are mostly designed for business people who intend to develop their ability to use the Chinese language when conducting business in China, we strongly recommend learning these multi-part series for everyone who is studying Chinese. Enjoy!
1) 互惠互利 ( hu4hui4hu4li4) – mutual benefit, mutually beneficial Definition: Dependent on each other in a mutual or shared manner. Example: 双方可以协力工作，互惠互利。 Meaning: We can work together for our mutual benefit.
2) 贸易壁垒 ( mao4yi4 bi4lei3) – a trade barrier Definition: Any regulation or policy that restricts international trade. Example: 政府已解除了对进口小气车的贸易壁垒。 Meaning: The government has removed a trade barrier on importing foreign cars.
3) 份额 (fen4e2) – a share of trade Definition: A part or portion of trade that is divided among a number of countries. Example:由于中国开始为世界市场输入商品，其他国家损失了很大贸易份额 Meaning: Since China started producing for the world market, other countries have lost their share of the market.
4) 国内生产总值 (guo2nei4 sheng1chan3 zong3zhi2) – gross domestic product (GDP) Definition: The total market value of all final goods and services produced in a country in a given year, equal to total consumer, investment and government spending, plus the value of exports, minus the value of imports. Example: 美国的国内生产总值是世界上最高的。 Meaning: The United States has the largest gross domestic product in the world.
5) 国民生产总值 (guo2min2 sheng1chan3 zong3zhi2) – gross national product (GNP) Definition: The total value of all final goods and services produced within a nation in a particular year, plus income earned by its citizens (including income of those located abroad), minus income of non-residents located in that country. Example: 在这期之间，中国国民生产总值很迅速地剧增了。 Meaning: During this period of time, the gross national product of China increased significantly.
6) 劳动力密集型 ( lao2dong4li4 mi4ji2 xing2) – labor-intensive Definition: Process or industry that requires a large amount of labor to produce its goods and services. Example: 他们的出口商品主要是劳动力密集型商品。 Meaning: Their exports are mainly labor-intensive products.
7) 资源密集型 (zi1yuan2 mi4ji2 xing2) – resource-intensive Definition: Process or industry that requires a large amount of resources to produce its goods or services. Example:中国加入世界贸易组织之后，其资源密集型产业发生了巨大的变化。 After becoming a member of the World Trade Organization, there have been great changes in resource-intensive industries in China.